The coronavirus is a respiratory virus that typically presents in patients as a fever and a cough. Some additional symptoms can include, body aches, chills, diarrhea, headache, runny nose, and sore throat. Some more serious symptoms include, pneumonia, shortness of breath and respiratory distress. These are most often seen in people with underlying chronic medical conditions such as, uncontrolled high blood pressure, diabetes, COPD or patients who are on dialysis. There is no vaccine or anti-viral medication to treat the Coronavirus. Treatment includes supportive care, oxygen and intravenous fluids if needed. From the time of exposure to a person who has been confirmed positive for the Coronavirus, symptoms will develop within 14 days.
As of March 9, 2020, there are 4 confirmed positive and 2 presumed positive cases in Pennsylvania. All six cases are adults who have mild symptoms and are currently in isolation in their homes.
*We do not have the capability to test for the Coronavirus in our office*
If you suspect that your child or children have been exposed and are symptomatic, please call our office at 717-291-5931, press “1” and talk to a member of our front desk staff. They will have you speak to one of our triage nurses who will guide you through questions about their exposure history, current symptoms, and supportive treatment at home. Your call will be discussed with the on-call provider in our office. As required, we will also call the Pennsylvania Department of Health and discuss your child’s/children’s exposure, symptoms, and necessary steps to obtain testing for your child/children.
How to protect yourself from getting sick:
- Avoid close contact with people known coronavirus infection
- Wash your hands often with soap and water (Alcohol-based sanitizers are also effective)
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth
- Do not share eating utensils or drinks
How is the Coronavirus spread:
- The air through coughing or sneezing
- Close personal contact, touching, shaking hands
Important things to keep in mind:
- Don’t panic
- Call us with any questions or concerns
- Remember the 3 threes- Cover, Clean & Contain
- Cover– any coughs and sneezes with your elbow, not your hands
- Clean– any surfaces frequently- countertops, light switches, cellphones, wash your hands
- Contain– if you are sick, stay home until you are feeling better